On the first day, Greece opened its gates to tourism (Wednesday), 5,889 Covid-19 tests were carried out, with the results for 3,611 coming out so far. Of these, 11 were positive, according to an ERT1 television report on Friday.
Health authorities call these coronavirus cases “imported” and the persons who are infected go in quarantine.
But what happens if you do come down with Covid-19 while you are on holiday in Greece? According to guidelines issued by the National Public Health Organization (EODY) and the health ministry the following procedures apply:
– Once a visitor feels ill he/she notifies the hotel manager who in turn notifies the partner doctor (in large hotels), the destination physician, or if the doctor is unavailable the visitor is assigned to a health facility to which he/she will be transferred.
– Should the patient be in need of immediate care, he/she will be transferred to the closest health facility as a “suspected Covid-19 incident”. If the case is serious and the health center is unable to handle the incident, the patient will be transferred via emergency air, sea or road ambulance service to the nearest reference heatlh center.
– If the symptoms are mild, Covid-19 testing will be conducted.
– After testing, a patient with mild symptoms must remain in their room until the results are out. No contact with hotel staff is allowed during this period. If it is absolutely necessary, one hotel staff member will be assigned exclusively to that room.
– If the test result is positive, the hotel’s health manager will officially report the incident to EODY on its 24-hour hotline (1135) and list it on the EODY registry. The patient will then be required to isolate as a confirmed Covid-19 case at a special quarantine hotel or be transferred to a designated hospital unit if symptoms are severe.
– If the outcome is negative, the hotel or destination doctor will be called in for treatment and instructions.
– All areas of the hotel used will be sanitized under specific EODY rules.
– Anyone accompanying the infected person (family member, partner, friend) will be required to provide information about the person’s activities, wear a mask at all times, and follow hygiene rules.
What if one comes into close contact with a confirmed Covid-19 case:
EODY guidelines say that if a hotel guest or employee has come into contact with a confirmed Covid-19 carrier, they will be required to self-isolate, not use public facitlities, eat in their room, and follow the testing procedure described above.
Lastly, travelers are advised to wash their hands often, don’t touch their face, wear a mask when necessary, maintain social distancing, and remain alert to news about the pandemic.
The above guidelines are issued by the National Public Health Organization (EODY) and are subject to change depending on the course of the coronavirus pandemic.